quinta-feira, outubro 25, 2007

Biografias e biografados

"Nor could I stop him, when he was finished with Lonoff, from turning his blazing attention on me. Once I was dead, who could protect the story of my life from Richard Kliman? Wasn’t Lonoff his literary steppingstone to me? And what would my “incest” be? How will I have failed to be the model humam being? My great , unseemly secret. Surely there was one. Surely there was more than one. An astonishing thing it is, too, that one’s prowess and achievement, such as they have been, should find their consummation in the retribuition of biographical inquisition. The man in control of the words, the man making up the stories all is life, winds up, after death, remembered, if at all, for a story made up about him, his covert brand of baseness discovered and described with uncompromising candor, clarity, with grave concern for the most delicate issues of morality, and with no small measure of delight.
So I was next. Why had it taken till now to realize the obvious? Unless I had realize it all long. "
Philip Roth - "Exit Ghost"
Right-tee-oh, mr. Roth...

Etiquetas: ,